St John the Baptist

Nottingham Archdeaconry
Gedling Deanery

The church is situated on the main street of Gunthorpe. It was part of the Parish of Lowdham, but in 1993, it became a parish in its own right. The present church is a much-extended version of a Chapel of Ease, which was built in 1850.

There had been a chapel in Gunthorpe since medieval times but it slowly fell into disrepair and ultimately became a blacksmith's shop. This chapel was not on the site of the present church.

In 1850 a new chapel was built on land given by Peter Broughton, the Lord of the Manor. That building now forms the nucleus of the present church. It was of simple design consisting of chancel, nave and bell tower. It was built in Bulwell stone.

The first extension was added in 1991. It consisted of a large glass-fronted annex which provided a meeting area, kitchen, toilet and vestry. This was dedicated to the memory of Michele Hough.

In 2001, a new church room was built which is known as 'St John's Room'. There is also a store room and kitchen extension.

St John's currently only has one Sunday service a month, on the second

Sunday, at 9:15am. This service will usually be Morning Praise.

For details of church events in the area, see

www.facebook.com/stmaryschurchlowdham

Coffee mornings are held on the 2nd Saturday of each month, 10 -12 noon at St. Johns, everyone welcome.

Thanks to Ed Herrington for supply of all photographs


St John the Baptist Church
Church Interior
Church Font
Stained Glass Window Detail